Chennai, TN IN
Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Manager - Systems Engineering - MQ/WAS Performance
Business Unit Overview
EI (Enterprise Infrastructure) India started operations in 2004 to help our partners take advantage of the global capability in providing operational support using the follow the sun model. Today the team covers multiple technologies in remote infrastructure support covering production, engineering, application and database support. EI India plays a key role in global workforce augmentation and supports all the EI verticals, including 24X7 operations in some areas. The team’s endeavour has been to provide increased value to our partners through operational excellence and innovation with a focus on stability.
In MQ/WAS z/OS team, we support various mainframe products like IBM Websphere MQ Series , Websphere Application server , WODM , zRes,Liberty. Our team serves Fidelity’s operations teams, application support teams, and developers by providing MQ/WAS z/OS Infrastructure Support. The team provides services such as performance and capacity for IBM MQ, WAS z/OS and various other tools and software. We provide on call support and perform proof of concepts to on board new technologies. The candidate should have strong problem solving skills, debugging, and technical knowledge in the IBM Websphere z/OS family of products.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Manage thresholds and alerts for usage of MQ/WAS resources.
- Analyze performance service level breaches, alerts, trends, and root causes to restore service.
- Track and proactively tune performance through trend and exception reporting to avoid possible service level breaches.
- Tune reactively to restore service for performance incidents and root causes
- Provide corrective action to resolve system performance problems and provide recommendations to prevent possible future incidents
- Recommend perf/cap changes to maintain agreed upon system performance levels Implement performance changes through formal change management process
- Define performance and capacity related metrics, data collection, summarization, and storage requirements.
- Collect, summarize and store performance and capacity data for MQ SMF data
- Provide capacity reporting and forecasting Websphere application server & MQ series product
- Analyze capacity measures and forecasting of MQ Pageset, CF structure,Queue & Buffurpool
- Define performance and capacity alert thresholds to support agreed upon service levels for WAS servers
- Track performance and capacity measures against defined thresholds and notify client when resources reach critical or alert levels
- Provide ad hoc performance and capacity reporting for analysis of incidents to restore service
- Determine policies for use within performance tooling.
- Participate in customization and maintenance of standard performance management tooling to maximize productivity benefits.
- Provide reactive support for significant subsystem performance incidents
- Provide input to automation groups to increase system availability, facilitate system monitoring, and minimize manual procedures.
- Interface with other technical teams, application leads, and client focal points.
- Respond to calls or pages from operations personnel to assist with problem determination and resolution.
- Implement parameters and definitions affecting performance, capacity and usability.
- Utilize and adhere to appropriate Incident, Problem and Change (IPC) management processes, procedures, and tools.
- Support decommissioning and implementation activities for MQ & WAS servers.
- Support Disaster Recovery (DR) tests and declarations.
- Should have SME level experience on SAS programming skills both on Mainframe and Distributed and SAS/GRAPH.
List of skills required
- MQ & WAS zOS Performance Tuning and Capacity managing skills – WLM,Thruput manager, Strobe and Dump reading,SMF data.
- Should have SME level experience on performance on MQ & WAS for z/OS
- Working knowledge on mainframe environment for IBM Productts
- Working knowledge on IBM Thread and Monitor Dump Analyzer (TMDA / JCA)
- Working knowledge on IBM Transaction Analysis Workbench for WebSphere MQ
- Knowledge of Storage and Network hardware and good understanding on Datacenter build is added advantage
- Knowledge to Disaster Recovery methodologies
- Knowledge of Production Support policies such as Incident, Change and Problem Management
- Working knowledge on MQ Buffer pools,Page sets,CF Structures,SMDS & Logs
- Working knowledge on Websphere Application server , Compute Grid, MQ series & WODM servers
- Experience in MQ performance for CPU utilization, disk activity, storage and buffer pool usage
- Knowledge to Resource Measurement Facility (RMF) is a performance monitor
- Working knowledge in SMF data captured by MQ ( SMF 115 & 116 )
- Working knowldge SMF Statistics & Accounting data captured by MQ
- Working knowledge MQ TRACE analysis
- Working knowledge in CF Shared Queue Messages (using SMDS)
- Working experience in CHINIT SMF Statistics and Accounting Data
- Working knoldge MQ CHINIT TCP Performance & tunning,
- Working with Channel & Performance events.
- Working experience in Tune JDBC Data Sources for WAS servers
- Working knowledge in Correctly Tune The JVM for WAS servers
- Working knowledge in Correctly Tune Thread Pools for WAS servers
- Working knowledge in IBM Support Assistant for WAS
- Working experience in Memory Analyzer Tool (MAT)
- Working experience in IBM Database Connection Pool Analyzer(DCPA / JCP)
- Working experience in IBM Trace and Request Analyzer (TRA)
- MQ CSQZPARM tuning for CSQ6SYSP CSQ6LOGP & CSQ6ARVP
- Working Experience in MQ SSL performance & tuning
- Working knowledge in MQ backup & recovery tuning
- Working experience in following MQ support packs
- MP1B Interpreting Accounting and Statistics Data
- MP1G WebSphere MQ for z/OS Performance Report
- MP15 Program to Print SMF Statistics
- MP16 Capacity Planning and Tuning -- Updates
- MD16 Getting the Best from MQSeries on OS/390
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills, ability to maintain good working relationships with India and onsite partner teams
- Must be able to act as a team player as well as work independently
- Must be a quick learner and adapt to new tools and technologies
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10-13 years of technical experience in MQ & WAS on zOS Performance tuning and Capacity Support